Definition of Australian cockroach
1. Noun. Widely distributed in warm countries.
Generic synonyms: Cockroach, Roach
Group relationships: Genus Periplaneta, Periplaneta
Australian Cockroach Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Australian Cockroach Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Australian Cockroach
Literary usage of Australian cockroach
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. How to Recognize and Eliminate Silverfish, Beetles, Cockroaches, Moths by Thomas A. Parker (1991)
"The australian cockroach (Figure 11) closely resembles the American roach, ... The australian cockroach, Periplaneta australasiae (Fabr. ..."
2. The Insect Book: A Popular Account of the Bees, Wasps, Ants, Grasshoppers by Leland Ossian Howard (1905)
"... the European cockroach or "black beetle" as it is known in England (Periplaneta orientalis) and the australian cockroach (Periplaneta ..."
3. Insects Injurious to the Household and Annoying to Man by Glenn Washington Herrick (1914)
"The third species, the australian cockroach, is undoubtedly a native of Australia and came to this country in ships. The fourth one, the American cockroach, ..."
4. Nature Sketches in Temperate America: A Series of Sketches and Popular by Joseph Lane Hancock (1911)
"Largest of the household cockroaches, originally a native of the tropics; it frequents basements; 76a. 105. australian cockroach ..."
5. Annual Report by Entomological Society of Ontario, Ontario. Dept. of Agriculture (1899)
"Intruders. Periplaneta Australasia;. In the beginning of June, a fine specimen of the australian cockroach (Periplaneta ..."