Definition of Autodefensas unidas de colombia
1. Noun. A terrorist organization in Colombia formed in 1997 as an umbrella for local and regional paramilitary groups; is financed by earnings from narcotics and serves to protect the economic interests of its members. "The AUC conducted over 800 assassinations in one year"
Category relationships: Act Of Terrorism, Terrorism, Terrorist Act
Generic synonyms: Foreign Terrorist Organization, Fto, Terrorist Group, Terrorist Organization
Geographical relationships: Colombia, Republic Of Colombia
Autodefensas Unidas De Colombia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Autodefensas Unidas De Colombia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Autodefensas Unidas De Colombia
Literary usage of Autodefensas unidas de colombia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. War Without Quarter: Colombia and International Humanitarian Law by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Human Rights Watch (Organization (1998)
"... there are at least seven groups allied under the name United Self-Defense Groups of Colombia (Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia, AUC): the Peasant ..."
2. You'll Learn Not to Cry: Child Combatants in Colombia by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Sebastian Brett (2003)
"... Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia (Auc)," El Tiempo, September 7,2002. 58. Cecilia Orozco, "No soy un trofeo de Guerra," interview with Carlos Castano, ..."
3. Landmine Monitor Report 2002: toward a mine-free world by International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Human Rights Watch (Organization). (2002)
"The AUC (United Self-defense Forces of Colombia. Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia) paramilitary forces are also involved in the conflict ..."
4. Landmine Monitor Report 2000: Toward a Mine-Free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (2000)
"... Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia (United Self-defense Groups of Colombia). Two of the guerrilla groups, FARC-EP and the UC-ELN, as well as paramilitary ..."
5. The Sixth Division: military-paramilitary ties and U.S. policy in Colombia by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Joanne Mariner, Malcolm Smart (2001)
"... Self-Defense Forces (Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia, AUC) in the field described them as a well organized, armed, and equipped force - hardly one that ..."