Definition of Autoimmune disease
1. Noun. Any of a large group of diseases characterized by abnormal functioning of the immune system that causes your immune system to produce antibodies against your own tissues.
Generic synonyms: Disease
Specialized synonyms: Myasthenia, Myasthenia Gravis, Disseminated Multiple Sclerosis, Disseminated Sclerosis, Ms, Multiple Sclerosis, Autoimmune Diabetes, Growth-onset Diabetes, Iddm, Insulin-dependent Diabetes Mellitus, Juvenile Diabetes, Juvenile-onset Diabetes, Ketoacidosis-prone Diabetes, Ketosis-prone Diabetes, Type I Diabetes, Exophthalmic Goiter, Graves' Disease, Atrophic Arthritis, Rheumatism, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Marie-strumpell Disease, Rheumatoid Spondylitis, Discoid Lupus Erythematosus, Dle, Hashimoto's Disease, Le, Lupus Erythematosus, Pemphigus, Dermatosclerosis, Scleroderma, Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura, Purpura Hemorrhagica, Thrombocytopenic Purpura, Werlhof's Disease
Terms within: Autoimmunity
Medical Definition of Autoimmune disease
Autoimmune Disease Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Autoimmune Disease Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Autoimmune Disease
Literary usage of Autoimmune disease
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Oxygen/Nitrogen Radicals and Cellular Injury edited by Kenneth B. Adler, Robert D. Devlin, Val Vallyathan (2000)
"The role of nitric oxide in the pathogenesis of spontaneous 84. murine autoimmune disease: increased nitric oxide production and nitric oxide synthase ..."
2. Understanding the Immune System by Lydia Woods Schindler (1994)
"No one knows just what causes an autoimmune disease, but several factors are likely to ... A high proportion of human patients with autoimmune disease have ..."
3. Assessment of the Scientific Information for the Radiation Exposure by National Research Council (U. S.) (2005)
"autoimmune disease: A disease caused by one's immune system's attacking the cells of ... Autoimmune hypothyroidism: An autoimmune disease that prevents the ..."
4. Assessing the Human Health Risks of Trichloroethylene: Key Scientific Issues by National Research Council (U.S.) (2006)
"Immunotoxicity Among the immunotoxicity end points the committee evaluated, evidence for an effect of trichloroethylene was strongest for autoimmune disease ..."
5. A Risk Reduction Strategy for Human Exploration of Space: A Review of NASA's by David E. Longnecker, Ricardo A. Molins (2006)
"Therefore, infectious disease, autoimmune disease, atherosclerotic heart disease, hypertension, and the mental conditions of depression and possibly ..."
6. Genes, Behavior, and the Social Environment: Moving Beyond the Nature by Lyla M. Hernandez, Dan German Blazer (2006)
"Similar correlations between HPA axis hyporeactivity and susceptibility to autoimmune disease have been observed for autoimmune conditions in chickens (Wick ..."
7. Review of the Worker and Public Health Activities Program Administered by by National Research Council (U. S.) (2006)
"Examples included the agency's study of heart and autoimmune disease in children exposed at the site and the infant mortality study. ..."