Definition of Back-geared
1. Adjective. (of a lathe) equipped with gearing for reducing the speed of the spindle from that of the driving pulley. "A back-geared lathe"
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Back-geared Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Back-geared
Literary usage of Back-geared
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook for Machine Designers and Draftsmen by Frederick Arthur Halsey (1913)
"When necessary to obtain extremely low speeds back-geared motors should be used. A good standard for the back-geared type of motor is one having a speed ..."
2. American Electricians' Handbook: A Reference Book for Practical Electrical by Terrell Croft (1913)
"back-geared motor suitable for extremely low speeds. 3. ... Usually, if the required reduction in 1 exceeds 6 to i, a back-geared motor should ..."
3. Biennial Report by Nebraska Roads and Irrigation Dept (1906)
"The full load speed will be about ijoo-RPM By using back geared parts, a counter shaft ... Motors equipped with back geared parts cost very little more than ..."
4. Constructive Text-book of Practical Mathematics by Horace Wilmer Marsh, Annie Griswold Fordyce Marsh (1912)
"Compute and tabulate the velocity ratio of cone pulley and spindle on each machine in the shops, when running back-geared. 6. Under a lettered heading, ..."
5. 20th Century Machine Shop Practice: Arithmetic, Practical Geometry by Leonard Elliott Brookes (1906)
"Back geared, with hand lever feed. Back geared, with combined lever and worm feed. Back geared, with self feed, automatic stop, combined lever and worm feed ..."
6. Shipbuilding Cyclopedia: A Reference Book Covering Definitions of by J. L. Bates, Bibber Webster, Stephen McKay Phillips, Alfred Henry Haag (1920)
"6 Double Friction Back Geared Turret Screw Machine is the largest and heaviest machine of the series and like the No. 4 machine is very largely used in ..."
7. General Machinery Catalogue by Niles Tool Works (1898)
"3 Screw Machine with Plain Back Geared Head without Automatic Chuck and Wire Feed, Style B ......................... 1 Spindle 10-Inch Sensitive Drill No. ..."