Definition of Bahrain
1. Noun. An island in the Persian Gulf.
Generic synonyms: Island
Group relationships: Arabian Gulf, Persian Gulf
2. Noun. An island country in the Persian Gulf off the coast of Saudi Arabia; oil revenues funded progressive programs until reserves were exhausted in 1970s.
Group relationships: Arab League
Generic synonyms: Asian Country, Asian Nation
Terms within: Capital Of Bahrain, Manama
Group relationships: Gulf States, Asia
Member holonyms: Bahraini, Bahreini
Definition of Bahrain
1. Proper noun. A country in the Middle East. Official name: Kingdom of Bahrain. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Bahrain
1. An independent state, an archipelago in the western persian gulf, northwest of qatar. It comprises low-lying islands of bahrain (the largest), muharraq, sitra, and several islets. It has extensive oil fields. The name comes from the arabic al-bahrayn, "the two seas", with reference to its lying in the middle of a bay with its "two seas" east and west of it. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Bahrain Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Bahrain
bahrain (current term)
Literary usage of Bahrain
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Oriental Biographical Dictionary: Founded on Materials Collected by the by Thomas William Beale, Henry George Keene (1881)
"The first rhythmical composition in the Persian language is recorded to have been the production of bahrain and his mistress ..."
2. The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon (1901)
"... as substantial prerogatives exalted them above the heads of the Persian nobility.16 At the siege of Dara, the valour of bahrain was signalised under the ..."
3. The Origins of the Islamic State, Being a Translation from the Arabic by Aḥmad ibn Yaḥyá Balādhurī, Philip Khuri Hitti (1916)
"CHAPTER XVII AL-bahrain Al-Mundhir ibn-Sawa, governor of al-bahrain. The land of al-bahrain formed a part of the Persian kingdom. ..."
4. An Almanack for the Year of Our Lord by Joseph Whitaker (1869)
"bahrain enjoy* a typical Persian Gulf climate with long, mild winters and an annual rainfall of about 3". Summer extends from May to October, ..."
5. Landmine Monitor Report 2000: Toward a Mine-Free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (2000)
"bahrain has not acceded to the Mine Ban Treaty, nor is it a party to the CCW. At the UN General Assembly in October 1998, the bahrain representative stated ..."
6. Landmine Monitor Report 1999: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines (1999)
"bahrain is not a party to the 1980 Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW). ... bahrain has not contributed any funds to the UN Voluntary Trust Fund for ..."
7. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon (1899)
"489 Consecrate his usurpation, compelled bahrain to assume the sceptre, regardless of the laws and prejudices of the nation, The palace was soon distracted ..."