Definition of Balaton
1. Noun. A large shallow lake in western Hungary.
Group relationships: Hungary, Magyarorszag, Republic Of Hungary
Generic synonyms: Lake
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Balaton Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Balaton
Literary usage of Balaton
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain) (1907)
"LAKE balaton. Resultate der wissenschaftlichen Erforschung des Plattensees, ... Lake balaton freezes in winter, while our larger lakes never freeze. ..."
2. Hungary and Transylvania: With Remarks on Their Condition, Social, Political by John Paget (1850)
"The Polonaise.—The Hungarian Dance.—Return. ABOUT eighty miles south of Pest, on the shores of the balaton, there is a pretty little bathing-place called ..."
3. The Magyars: Their Country and Institutions by Patterson, Arthur John (1869)
"Educational Work—Lake balaton—Tihany ... Ruined Castles — Importance of Lake balaton— ... balaton ..."
4. Adventure Guide to Hungary by Dante Mena (2007)
"Places to Stay Before you book in Southern or Northern balaton consider that it slows down in the winter. While there is some nightlife and recreation, ..."
5. After the War: London, Paris, Rome, Athens, Prague, Vienna, Budapest by Charles à Court Repington (1922)
"... Finance Minister, expounds to me his great programme — Colonel Alfred Stead — A tour round Lake balaton — The country and the crops — Vienna — A party ..."