Definition of Bass clef
1. Noun. A clef that puts the F below middle C on the fourth line of a staff.
Definition of Bass clef
1. Noun. (music) A symbol showing that the second line from the top of the staff represents the F below middle C. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Bass Clef Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Bass Clef Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Bass Clef
Literary usage of Bass clef
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Public School Methods (1921)
"bass clef. The voices of many of the boys will change in these grades, so that it is necessary to introduce the bass clef. To simplify this, explain the use ..."
2. Elson's Music Dictionary: Containing the Definition and Pronunciation of by Louis Charles Elson (1905)
"It is customary to write for the Bassoon in the bass clef, and as the instrument is ... The bass clef. Bass staff. The staff marked with the bass clef. ..."
3. Rhythm and Harmony in Poetry and Music: Together with Music as a by George Lansing Raymond (1894)
"... we should Know the Causes of Quality and Pitch—The Note and Half-Note— Written Music : the Staff—Treble Clef—bass clef—C Clef—Sharps and Flats—Music ..."
4. A Dictionary of Music and Musicians (A.D. 1450-1880) by John Alexander Fuller-Maitland, George Grove (1880)
"The Double Bassoon also uses the bass clef, sounding every note an ... The few lower notes for the Horn are, however, frequently written in the bass clef. ..."
5. Prof. H. Kling's Modern Orchestration and Instrumentation: Or, The Art of by Henri Kling (1905)
"... Eclipse Self-Instructor for Upright Tenor in Treble or bass clef, by Paul De Ville. "Net 50 cents. The Langey Tutor for Bb Tenor. Net $1.00. ..."
6. Pronouncing and Defining Dictionary of Music by William Smythe Babcock Mathews, Emil Liebling (1896)
"The bass clef. Bass staff. The staff marked with the bass clef. Bassstimme (bass'stlm-mi), ... The b below G gamut ; the twelfth below the bass-clef note. ..."
7. The American History and Encyclopedia of Music by Janet M. Green, Josephine Thrall (1908)
"See also bass clef, bass, second See second bass. bass staff In stringed instruments, the string upon which the lowest note is played, bass, thorough The ..."