Definition of Battle of crecy
1. Noun. The first decisive battle of the Hundred Years' War; in 1346 the English under Edward III defeated the French under Philip of Valois.
Generic synonyms: Pitched Battle
Group relationships: Hundred Years' War
Geographical relationships: France, French Republic
Battle Of Crecy Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Battle Of Crecy Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Battle Of Crecy
Literary usage of Battle of crecy
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The History of England: From the Invasion of Julius Cæsar to the Revolution by David Hume (1858)
"This battle, which is known by the name of the battle of Crecy, began after three o'clock in the afternoon, and continued till evening. ..."
2. A Source Book of Mediæval History: Documents Illustrative of European Life by Frederic Austin Ogg (1908)
"The Battle of Crecy (1346) IN July, 1346, Edward III. landed on the northwest coast of Normandy with a splendid army of English, Irish, and Welsh, ..."
3. English Literature from Widsith to the Death of Chaucer: A Source Book by Allen Rogers Benham (1916)
"Of these "great enterprises and great feats of arms" none is more important than the battle of Crecy, August 26, 1346, thus narrated by Froissart: The ..."
4. Source-book of English History: For the Use of Schools and Readers by Elizabeth Kimball Kendall (1900)
"The Battle of Crecy (1346) The Englishmen, who were in three battles lying on the ground to rest them, as soon as they saw the Frenchmen approach, ..."
5. Readings in European History: A Collection of Extracts from the Sources by James Harvey Robinson (1904)
"... FROISSART'S ACCOUNT OF THE battle of crecy [Having reached a point near Crecy,] the king of England was well informed how the French king followed after ..."
6. Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern by Charles Dudley Warner (1896)
"AND THE battle of crecy From the 'Chronicles'; Translation of John Bourchier, Lord Berners How THE KING OF ENGLAND RODE THROUGH NORMANDY WHEN the King of ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Battle of crecy