Definition of Bengali
1. Noun. (Hinduism) a member of a people living in Bangladesh and West Bengal (mainly Hindus).
Group relationships: Bangla Desh, Bangladesh, East Pakistan, People's Republic Of Bangladesh
Generic synonyms: Asian, Asiatic
2. Adjective. Of or relating to or characteristic of Bengal or its people. "Bengali hills"
3. Noun. An ethnic group speaking Bengali and living in Bangladesh and eastern India.
4. Noun. A Magadhan language spoken by the Bengali people; the official language of Bangladesh and Bengal.
Definition of Bengali
1. Adjective. Of, from or pertaining to Bengal ¹
2. Noun. A person from Bengal or of Bengali descent. ¹
3. Proper noun. Language spoken in Bangladesh and the states of Tripura and West Bengal, India. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Bengali Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Bengali
Literary usage of Bengali
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Census of the Exact Sciences in Sanskrit by David Edwin Pingree (1994)
"bengali. Copied in Saka 1761 = AD 1839. Calcutta University 115. Ff. 1-143. ... 11 F 83. 10pp. bengali. Incomplete. Adyar Cat. 11 F 101. 97pp. bengali. ..."
2. Report of the Annual Meeting (1848)
"On the Relation of the bengali, to the Arlan and Aboriginal Languages of India. ... THE interest which the bengali language presents to oriental scholars, ..."
3. A Catalogue of the Library of the Hon. East-India Company: Supplement by East India Company Library (1851)
"GRAMMARS. ri,j Kisor Gupta, Grammar of the bengali Language. 8vo. . Calcutta, 1840 itroduction to the bengali Language, adapted to Students who know English ..."
4. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"The name " bengali" is an English word, derived from the English word " Bengal. ... The Assamese alphabet is the same as that of bengali, but has one ..."
5. Subject Index of the Modern Works Added to the Library of the British Museum ...by George Knottesford Fortescue by George Knottesford Fortescue (1902)
"Manual of translation from bengali into English. pp.266. ... MITRA (К.) bengali Transliteration of the French words with the English meanings used in the ..."
6. A General Catalogue of Books: Arranged in Classes, Offered for Sale by by Bernard Quaritch (1868)
"1805 8854 i'ORBES" Grammar of the bengali Language, with Selection of Phrases and ... 30s 1821 8856 bengali Selections, with Translations and Vocabulary, ..."
7. Bulletin of the New York Public Library by New York public library (1909)
"Abridgement of Johnson's dictionary, English and bengali peculiarly calculated for the use of ... Companion to Johnson's dictionary, bengali and English. ..."