Definition of Bluefin tuna
1. Noun. Flesh of very large tuna.
Group relationships: Bluefin, Horse Mackerel, Thunnus Thynnus
Generic synonyms: Tuna, Tuna Fish, Tunny
2. Noun. Largest tuna; to 1500 pounds; of mostly temperate seas: feed in polar regions but breed in tropics.
Group relationships: Genus Thunnus, Thunnus
Generic synonyms: Tuna, Tunny
Terms within: Bluefin
Definition of Bluefin tuna
1. Noun. Any of three related species of tunafish, the northern bluefin tuna, southern bluefin tuna, and Pacific bluefin tuna. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Bluefin Tuna Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Bluefin Tuna Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Bluefin Tuna
Literary usage of Bluefin tuna
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Using Market Mechanisms to Manage Fisheries: Smoothing the Path by Bertrand Le Gallic (2006)
"49/1999 establishes the percentages of the annual quota of East Atlantic and Mediterranean bluefin tuna stocks assigned to the Community to be broken down ..."
2. Our Common Journey: A Transition Toward Sustainability by National Research Council (1999)
"Committee on the Formation of the National Biological Survey. (1993). An Assessment of Atlantic bluefin tuna. Committee to Review Atlantic bluefin tuna. ..."
3. Code of Federal Regulations 21: Food And Drugs 2005 by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Staff (2005)
"(2) The fish included in the class known as tuna fish are: Thunnus thynnus (Linnaeus, 1758)—Northern bluefin tuna Thunnus maccoyii (Castelnau, 1872)—Southem ..."
4. Inter-Linkages: The Kyoto Protocol and the International Trade and by W. Bradnee Chambers (2001)
"Such a recommendation was made in 1996 in connection with Atlantic bluefin tuna and its products from Belize, Honduras, and Panama: ibid., at p. 858. ..."
5. Canada's Atlantic Provinces by Barbara Radcliffe Rogers, Stillman Rogers (2002)
"PEI was once famed for its bluefin tuna fishing, and we're happy to report that after a several-year absence, the tuna are back. North Lake, the main port ..."
6. Fish Piracy: Combating Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing by OECD Staff, Committee for Fisheries (2004)
"Under BTAP, the ICCAT identifies non-Contracting Parties whose vessels have been fishing for Atlantic bluefin tuna in a manner which diminishes the ..."
7. Environmental Performance Reviews by OECD Staff (1998)
"With New Zealand and Japan, it established the 1994 Canberra Convention on the Conservation of Southern bluefin tuna. In 1996, Australia chaired the newly ..."