Definition of Borassus
1. Noun. Palmyra.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Arecaceae, Family Arecaceae, Family Palmaceae, Family Palmae, Palm Family, Palmaceae, Palmae
Member holonyms: Borassus Flabellifer, Longar Palm, Lontar, Palmyra, Palmyra Palm, Toddy Palm, Wine Palm
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Borassus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Borassus
Literary usage of Borassus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Southey's Common-place Book by Robert Southey (1849)
"[borassus Flabelliformis of Ceylon, Sfc. used instead of Paper.] " AT Ceylon, and on the adjacent continent, the leaves of the borassus palm tree, ..."
2. Cyclopædia of India and of Eastern and Southern Asia, Commercial, Industrial by Edward Balfour (1873)
"... the principal of which are the for its solidification varies with the quantity of Areca catechu; borassus flabelliformis ; spe- raes to 130° or 140°; ..."
3. A Botanical Materia Medica by Jonathan Stokes (1812)
"borassus, Calyx of the hermaphrodite flowers with 8 or 12" phylla; of the male flowers with S phylla. Corolla of the hermaphrodite flower» none unless the ..."
4. The Vegetable Materia Medica of Western India by William Dymock (1885)
"2401 cwts. of dried kernel was exported. borassus flabelliformis, Linn., Rheede Hort. Mai. i., tt. ..."
5. A Description of the Island of St. Helena: Containing Observations on Its by Francis Duncan (1805)
"HELENA. They are both different from the sago palm, which alone would be a great acquisition. The Palmyra, or borassus ..."