Definition of Brake system
1. Noun. A braking device consisting of a combination of interacting parts that work to slow a motor vehicle.
Generic synonyms: Brake
Terms within: Brake Band, Brake Light, Stoplight
Specialized synonyms: Hydraulic Brake, Hydraulic Brakes
Group relationships: Automotive Vehicle, Motor Vehicle
Brake System Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Brake System Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Brake System
Literary usage of Brake system
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Electric Railway Handbook: A Reference Book of Practice Data, Formulas and by Albert Sutton Richey, William Charles Greenough (1915)
"Straight air brake system, recommended for single-car operation only. ... Automatic air brake system, suitable for trains of three or more cars. ..."
2. The I.C.S. System of Instruction by Mail and the Results Achieved by International Correspondence Schools (1905)
"Study of either air-brake system is optional. *Printed under the general title of The Air Brake, in 4 parts. !Printed under the general title of The New ..."
3. The Car-builder's Dictionary: An Illustrated Vocabulary of Terms which by Master Car-Builders' Association, Matthias Nace Forney, Arthur Mellen Wellington, Leander Garey, Calvin A. Smith (1906)
"The air is taken from the air brake system; the gasoline, absorbed by wicking, is contained in the carburetors, and the object of the details of this system ..."
4. Car Builders' Cyclopedia of American Practice by American Railway Association, Master Car Builders' Association, Mechanical Division, Association of American Railroads (1903)
"The air tank also serves as a storage reservoir, and its capacity is such that, when charged to the pressure ordinarily carried in the air brake system, ..."
5. The Work of the Railway Carman by Edmond K. Hogan, Brotherhood Railway Carmen of America (1921)
"THE AUTOMATIC AIR brake system. When near a locomotive, the attention of the passerby is sometimes attracted by a thumping, hollow sound repeated in regular ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Brake system