Definition of Buckwheat family
1. Noun. A family of plants of order Polygonales chiefly of the north temperate zone; includes the buckwheats.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Family, Magnoliopsid Family
Group relationships: Order Polygonales, Polygonales
Member holonyms: Genus Polygonum, Polygonum, Fagopyrum, Genus Fagopyrum, Genus Eriogonum, Genus Rheum, Rheum, Genus Rumex, Rumex
Buckwheat Family Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Buckwheat Family Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Buckwheat Family
Literary usage of Buckwheat family
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord. Britton, Hon. Addison. Brown (1913)
"buckwheat family. Herbs, vines, shrubs or trees, with alternate or sometimes opposite or whorled simple mostly entire leaves, jointed stems, ..."
2. Flora of the Southern United States: Containing an Abridged Description of by Alvan Wentworth Chapman (1897)
"... (buckwheat family.) Herbs, shrubs, or (tropical) trees, with simple mostly alternate and stipulate leaves, and perfect or dioecious flowers. ..."
3. Manual of the Botany (Phænogamia and Pteridophyta) of the Rocky Mountain by John Merle Coulter (1885)
"... (buckwheat family.) Herbs, with alternate and entire leaves, or sometimes verticillate, and stipules iu the form of sheaths above the swollen joints of ..."
4. The Elements of Botany for Beginners and for Schools by Asa Gray (1887)
"... buckwheat family. Known by the alternate entire leaves having stipules in the form of scarious or membranous sheaths or ..."
5. Flora of Miami: Being Descriptions of the Seed-plants Growing Naturally on by John Kunkel Small (1913)
"buckwheat family. Plants various in habit. Leaves with manifest, usually sheathing, ... buckwheat family."
6. Scientific and Applied Pharmacognosy: Intended for the Use of Students in by Henry Kraemer (1915)
"... OR buckwheat family. Mostly herbaceous plants, with nearly entire leaves, and distinguished by having jointed stems, usually sheathing united stipules ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Buckwheat family