Definition of California coffee
1. Noun. Evergreen shrub of western United States bearing small red or black fruits.
California Coffee Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: California Coffee Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of California Coffee
Literary usage of California coffee
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Wild Flowers of California: Their Names, Haunts, and Habits by Mary Elizabeth Parsons (1906)
"california coffee. Rhamnus Californica, Esch. Buckthorn Family. Shrubs.—Four to eighteen feet high. Leaves.—Alternate; elliptic to oblong; denticulate or ..."
2. The American Botanist edited by Willard Nelson Clute (1915)
"... a beautiful shrub of the rose family with large clusters of red berries among the thick evergreen leaves; the coffee berry or california coffee (Rhamnus ..."
3. The Home Messenger Book of Tested Receipts by Isabella Graham Duffield Stewart, Sally B. Sill, Mary B. Duffield (1878)
"The white of an egg, thoroughly beaten and added (california coffee) to thin cream or rich milk, is also very nice. ..."
4. The Shell Book: A Popular Guide to a Knowledge of the Families of Living by Julia Ellen Rogers (1908)
"The california coffee-bean Shell (T. Californica, Gray) is about the shape and size of a large grain of coffee. The dorsal depression is shallow, ..."