Definition of Calvatia gigantea
1. Noun. Huge edible puffball up to 2 feet diameter and 25 pounds in weight.
Generic synonyms: Puffball, True Puffball
Group relationships: Calvatia, Genus Calvatia
Calvatia Gigantea Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Calvatia Gigantea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Calvatia Gigantea
Literary usage of Calvatia gigantea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1922)
"Of these, the giant puffball, calvatia gigantea, is the largest and best known as it often measures twelve to eighteen inches in diameter. ..."
2. A Text-book of Mycology and Plant Pathology by John William Harshberger (1917)
"calvatia gigantea, the giant puff-ball, grows in pastures and meadows. Usually the fruit bodies are ten to twenty inches in diameter and even larger. ..."
3. Cyclopedia of American Agriculture: A Popular Survey of Agricultural by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1907)
"The Giant Puffball (calvatia gigantea) is also found in pastures, but it may appear in gardens and meadows as well. It has been found of a diameter of more ..."
4. Torreya by Torrey Botanical Club (1919)
"He also exhibited a large specimen of calvatia gigantea collected recently in this vicinity. Adjournment followed. BO DODGE, Secretary. ..."
5. The Natural History of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada by Canadian Institute (1849-1914), J H Faull (1913)
"We may except perhaps the morels and large puffballs, such as calvatia gigantea, and, of course, the common Field Mushroom (Agari- cus campester) ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Calvatia gigantea