Definition of Campephilus
1. Noun. A genus of Picidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Picidae, Picidae
Member holonyms: Campephilus Principalis, Ivory-billed Woodpecker, Ivorybill
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Campephilus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Campephilus
Literary usage of Campephilus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. �Etudes m�edicales sur les serpents de la Vend�ee et de Loire-Inf�erieure by Ambroise Viaud-Grand-Marais, George Robert Gray (1868)
"Brazil, male. Presented by Lord Stuart de Rothsay. 10. campephilus ... campephilus rubricollis, GR Gr. Gen. of B. ii. p. 436. Dryocopus rubricollis, Bote ..."
2. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1898)
"THE IMPERIAL IVORY-BILLED WOODPECKER, campephilus IMPERIALIS (GOULD). BY EW NELSON. Plate III. AT A meeting of the Zoological Society of London, ..."
3. Argentine Ornithology: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Birds of the Argentine by Philip Lutley Sclater, William Henry Hudson (1889)
"... is peculiar to the Pampas, while eight others are known with more or less certainty from the northern provinces of the Republic. 248. campephilus ..."
4. List of the Specimens of Birds in the Collection of the British Museum by George Robert Gray (1848)
"37; PL Enl. 61 campephilus rubricollis, GR Gr. Gen. of B. ii. p. 430. ... campephilus Borei. Boie'a Woodpecker. Picus Boiei, Wagl. Syst. Av.; Temm. PI. Col. ..."
5. Bulletin by United States National Museum (1914)
"campephilus IMPERIALIS (Gould). IMPERIAL WOODPECKER. Adult male.—General color glossy blue-black, the tail and pri (except terminal portion of five or six ..."