Definition of Canara
1. Noun. A historical region of southwestern India on the west coast.
Generic synonyms: Geographic Area, Geographic Region, Geographical Area, Geographical Region
Group relationships: Bharat, India, Republic Of India
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Canara Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Canara
Literary usage of Canara
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Supplementary Despatches and Memoranda of Field Marshal Arthur, Duke of by Arthur Richard Wellesley Wellington (1858)
"PROVISIONS FOR GARRISONS IN canara. I have this day forwarded to head quarters two letters from Major , which I am afraid will not be deemed more proper ..."
2. Notes and Queries by Martim de Albuquerque (1860)
"This custom prevails among the inhabitants of canara and Telinga in India; as also among some of the ..."
3. Universal Geography: Or a Description of All Parts of the World, on a New by Conrad Malte-Brun (1825)
"This province is usually divided into North and South North Ca- canara. North canara, which is the largest, lies between ..."
4. On the Culture and Commerce of Cotton in India, and Elsewhere by John Forbes Royle (1851)
"The cotton from canara and Malabar, exported from the various ports of the ... The average exports from canara to Bombay amounted for the thirteen years ..."
5. Historical Sketches of the South of India, in an Attempt to Trace the by Mark Wilks (1869)
"farther assessment by the rebel governors in 1618—Kate at which landi were then sold—hereditary rights in land indefeasible in canara—subsequent exactions ..."