Definition of Cancel out
1. Verb. Wipe out the effect of something. "The `A' will cancel out the `C' on your record"
Generic synonyms: Do Away With, Eliminate, Extinguish, Get Rid Of
Derivative terms: Wipeout
Definition of Cancel out
1. Verb. (ambitransitive) To neutralize the effect of something. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Cancel Out Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cancel Out Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cancel Out
Literary usage of Cancel out
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage by Inc. Merriam-Webster (1994)
"To this we can say that he is correct insofar as our evidence is reliable. cancel out is not used in the transitive sense of ..."
2. Mathematical Questions and Solutions by W. J. C. Miller (1888)
"To solve the equation we must cancel out the 5. ... and there would still remain a7 to cancel out of some other prime ending in unity, say 41 raised to the ..."
3. Electrodynamics of Moving Media: Report of the National Research Council by William Francis Gray Swann, John Torrence Tate, Harry Bateman (1922)
"It is possible, indeed, to cancel out the field of the pole altogether and ... that when we cancel out the radiation terms this is just what will happen. ..."
4. Elementary Algebra: Designed as a First Book of Algebra for All Grades of by Thomas K. Brown (1879)
"Multiply 6 62 - 4 by such a number that the product, on being subtracted from 18 62 + 4, will cancel out the first term. 11. ..."
5. Children's Arithmetic by Grades by William Estabrook Chancellor (1901)
"105 and 630 divided by 5 give this new 777:7: = -гт^. traction : 126 J ° у>Щ Izb We cancel out the 5. Y 21 and 126 divided by 3 give : 9Д 7 We cancel out ..."
6. Transactions by European Orthodontic Society, Lina Oswald, Northern Ohio Dental Society, Ossory Archaeological Society, Wentworth Historical Society, Society of Automobile Engineers (1910)
"The three third harmonic exciting currents will add together in phase in the neutral while the fundamentals and fifth harmonics cancel out. ..."
7. International Library of Technology: A Series of Textbooks for Persons by International Textbook Company (1903)
"Special attention is called to the fact that in case all the factors above the line do not cancel out, two other circles must be tried until ..."
8. Arithmetic: Intermediate : Essential Principles by William Estabrook Chancellor (1902)
"21 and 126 divided by 3 give : £j 7 We cancel out another 3. ^2ß ~ 42 Last, we cancel out the 7. . 42 At its lowest terms -fyfa = g . ..."