Definition of Card catalog
1. Noun. A library catalog in which each publication is described on a separate file card.
2. Noun. An alphabetical listing of items (e.g., books in a library) with a separate card for each item.
Generic synonyms: File, File Cabinet, Filing Cabinet
Specialized synonyms: Rolodex
Card Catalog Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Card Catalog Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Card Catalog
Literary usage of Card catalog
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Library Journal by American Library Association, Library Association, Richard Rogers Bowker, Charles Ammi Cutter (1908)
"But I have my very serious doubts whether the card catalog is ever going to ... It seems fair to say that the average card catalog will always need an ..."
2. Guide to the Use of Libraries: A Manual for College and University Students by Margaret Hutchins, Alice Sarah Johnson, Margaret Stuart Williams (1922)
"The card catalog.—At one time library catalogs were printed in book form, ... The card catalog, with an entry for each work on a separate card, ..."
3. Guide to the Study and Use of Reference Books by Alice Bertha ( Kroeger, Isadore Gilbert Mudge, American Library Association (1908)
"THE card catalog Perhaps it may be worth while to emphasize the importance of using a card catalog. The young student in college or in school should be ..."
4. Annual Conference Proceedings of the American Library Association by American Library Association. Conference, American Library Association (1900)
"Mr. CUTTER : May I carry the history of the card catalog a little farther back? Mr. Charles Folsom, who left the librarianship of the Boston Athenaeum, ..."
5. Lessons on the Use of Books and Libraries: A Text Book for Schools and a by Ole Saeter Rice (1920)
"THE card catalog You know how convenient an index is to a history book. An index to a library is also of much use. Such an index we have in the card catalog ..."
6. Cataloging for Small Libraries by Theresa Hitchler (1915)
"card catalog. A catalog of books in a library in which each entry is made on ... card catalog Case or Card Case. A case of drawers or trays for the storage ..."
7. Guide to the Use of Libraries: A Manual for Students in the University of by Margaret Hutchins, Alice Sarah Johnson, Margaret Stuart Williams (1920)
"The card catalog.—At one time library catalogs were printed in book form, well known examples of which are the catalogs of the British Museum and the Boston ..."