Definition of Cenozoic era
1. Noun. Approximately the last 63 million years.
Group relationships: Phanerozoic, Phanerozoic Aeon, Phanerozoic Eon
Terms within: Age Of Man, Quaternary, Quaternary Period, Tertiary, Tertiary Period
Generic synonyms: Era, Geological Era
Cenozoic Era Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cenozoic Era Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cenozoic Era
Literary usage of Cenozoic era
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Introduction to Geology by William Berryman Scott (1907)
"CHAPTER XXXV cenozoic era—TERTIARY PERIOD THE history of the cenozoic era brings us by ... The sedimentary rocks of the cenozoic era are, for the most part, ..."
2. Elements of Geology: A Text-book for Colleges and for the General Reader by Joseph Le Conte (1903)
"CHAPTER V. cenozoic era—AGE OF MAMMALS. THIS deserves the rank of a distinct era, and the corresponding rocks that of a distinct system, because there is ..."
3. A Compend of Geology by Joseph LeConte (1898)
"CHAPTER V. cenozoic era.—AGE OF MAMMALS. THIS is reckoned a primary division—an Era—because there is just here a very general break in the rock-system, ..."
4. ... A Text-book of Geology by Albert Perry Brigham (1900)
"CHAPTER XXIV cenozoic era TERTIARY PERIOD 369. WE now enter upon the last of the great eras of geological history. It is, as its name means, the era of new ..."
5. International Library of Technology: A Series of Textbooks for Persons by International Textbook Company (1908)
"... seem to differ in regard to the location of these beds, some placing them in the Cretaceous period and others in the Eocene period of the cenozoic era. ..."
6. Geology by Thomas Chrowder Chamberlin, Rollin D. Salisbury (1906)
"The cenozoic era.—The remaining periods of geological history constitute the cenozoic era, the era of modern life. The era is commonly divided into two ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Cenozoic era