Definition of Center punch
1. Noun. A tool with a conical point that is used to make indentations in metal (especially to mark points for drilling).
2. Verb. Make a small hole in something as a guide for a drill.
Definition of Center punch
1. Verb. to create a small hole or indentation in a workpiece as a guide in preparation for drilling ¹
2. Noun. a device used to create a small indentation in preparation for drilling a hole ¹
3. Noun. the small indentation created by such a device ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Center Punch Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Center Punch Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Center Punch
Literary usage of Center punch
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Text-book of Advanced Machine Work: Prepared for Students in Technical by Robert Henry Smith (1915)
"7 shows the method of setting a center punch mark on work true to the axis of ... Spring plunger A is inserted in center punch mark B and mounted on dead ..."
2. Punches and Dies: Layout, Construction and Use by Frank Arthur Stanley (1919)
"APPLICATION OF THE SPACING center punch If the spacing center punch is to be used the solid type shown in Fig. 552 has few equals. ..."
3. International Library of Technology: A Series of Textbooks for Persons by International Textbook Company (1903)
"2 (b) is similar to the center punch, but may be smaller, and must have a sharp ... 2. the light marks in laying out work, while the center punch is used to ..."
4. Cyclopedia of Modern Shop Practice: A Manual of Shop Practice, Pattern edited by Howard Monroe Raymond (1904)
"To drill the hole, place the point of the drill in the center punch mark A, and drill into the metal until the center punch mark has been slightly enlarged, ..."
5. Jig and Fixture Design: A Treatise Covering the Principles of Jig and by Franklin Day Jones (1920)
"The next step consisted of lining up the bushing A of the fixture with the center punch in the drill spindle. It will be noted that the bushing is made ..."
6. Machine Tools and Their Operation by Fred H. Colvin, Frank A. Stanley (1922)
"... drawn shows it to be about even on each side. If you make too deep a center-punch mark before getting it just right, yon FIGS.-15.—Centering wurk. ..."
7. American Machinists' Handbook and Dictionary of Shop Terms: A Reference Book by Fred Herbert Colvin, Frank Arthur Stanley (1914)
"center punch, Locating — Having an extra leg which has a spring point and is adjustable. The spring point is placed in the first ri • i " —«8f — punch mark ..."
8. Steam-engine Principles and Practice by Terrell William Croft (1922)
"Spot a center-punch mark, V, on the steam-chest head. Place the straight point of T2 in V and spot a center-punch mark, E, on the main valve stem under the ..."