Definition of Cephalanthera
1. Noun. Small genus of temperate Old World terrestrial orchids.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Helleborine, Cephalanthera Rubra, Red Helleborine
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cephalanthera Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cephalanthera
Literary usage of Cephalanthera
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Various Contrivances by which Orchids are Fertilised by Insects by Charles Darwin (1904)
"cephalanthera grandiflora ; rostellum aborted ; early penetration of the ... cephalanthera grandiflora.—This Orchid is remarkable from not possessing a ..."
2. The Flowering Plants of Tunbridge Wells & Neighbourhood by Richard Deakin (1871)
"cephalanthera, Eich. Sepals converging; Lip interrupted, the basal division saccate, jointed to the recurved ... Perennial, flowering in June, cephalanthera ..."
3. Charles Darwin's Works by Charles Darwin (1877)
"In this latter character and in the complete abortion of the rostellum we have evidence of degradation; and cephalanthera appears to me like a degraded ..."
4. Orchidaceae: Illustrations and Studies of the Family Orchidaceae by Oakes Ames (1922)
"It is true that Wettstein in a paper on cephalanthera, Epipactis and Limodorum,1 in which he advocated the union of these genera under Epipactis, ..."
5. Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal, Exhibiting a View of the Progressive by Robert Jameson, Sir William Jardine, Henry D Rogers (1864)
"I was staying in a part of Kent where Orchis maculata and cephalanthera grandiflora ... I examined 1175 flowers of cephalanthera, 1000 of Orchis maculata, ..."