Definition of Cephalotaxus
1. Noun. The genus of Cephalotaxus (see plum-yews).
Generic synonyms: Gymnosperm Genus
Group relationships: Cephalotaxaceae, Family Cephalotaxaceae, Plum-yew Family
Member holonyms: Plum-yew
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cephalotaxus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cephalotaxus
Literary usage of Cephalotaxus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Botanical Gazette by University of Chicago, JSTOR (Organization) (1907)
"Our knowledge of the spermatogenesis of cephalotaxus is confined to the work of STRASBURGER ... In both Torreya (COULTER and LAND, 6) and cephalotaxus the ..."
2. Organography of Plants, Especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta by Karl Eberhard Goebel (1905)
"cephalotaxus and Tor- reya. In cephalotaxus and Torreya the ovules stand in pairs in ... In cephalotaxus these sporo- phylls are united into small cones, ..."
3. The Pinetum: Being a Synopsis of All the Coniferous Plants at Present Known by George Gordon, Robert Glendinning (1858)
"CEDRUS LIBANA PENDULA, Knight. This variety has slenderer and more pendulous branches than the Common Cedar of Lebanon. Gen. cephalotaxus. ..."
4. Garden Flowers: How to Cultivate Them. A Treatise on the Culture of Hardy by Edward Sprague Rand (1866)
"See cephalotaxus. JASIONE. Sheens-scabious. [Campanulaceae.] Pretty dwarf herbs, bearing blue flowers collected in heads. The annuals may be sown in the ..."
5. Handy Book of Ornamental Conifers and of Rhododendrons and Other American by Hugh Fraser (1875)
"cephalotaxus (THE CLUSTER-FRUITED YEW). Though botanically different from their near allies the Yews, the species which constitute this genus have a general ..."
6. Trees and Shrubs of Central Park by Louis Harman Peet (1903)
"This whitish cast is a distinctive feature, and will tell you at once that the shrub is not Taxus baccata, but cephalotaxus. There are two bushes of it here ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Cephalotaxus