Definition of Ceremonial occasion
1. Noun. A formal event performed on a special occasion. "A ceremony commemorating Pearl Harbor"
Generic synonyms: Affair, Function, Occasion, Social Function, Social Occasion
Specialized synonyms: Circumstance, Funeral, Hymeneals, Nuptials, Wedding, Wedding Ceremony, Pageant, Pageantry, Dedication, Opening, Commemoration, Memorialisation, Memorialization, Military Ceremony, Induction, Initiation, Installation, Exercise, Fire Walking, Formalities, Formality, Maundy, Potlatch
Derivative terms: Ceremonial, Ceremonial, Observe
Ceremonial Occasion Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ceremonial Occasion Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ceremonial Occasion
Literary usage of Ceremonial occasion
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Yale Lectures on Preaching: And Other Writings by Nathaniel Judson Burton, Richard E Burton (1888)
"You observe, my brethren, that I am falling back again on my feeling that any ceremonial occasion, because it is just that, a ceremonial occasion and not ..."
2. A Dictionary of Religion and Ethics by Shailer Mathews, Gerald Birney Smith (1921)
"So unified is this organic complex that it is frequently forbidden to use any feature privately or outside the ceremonial occasion. For example it would be ..."
3. The Antiquities of Tennessee and the Adjacent States, and the State of by Gates Phillips Thruston (1897)
"It was evidently designed as a halberd or weapon of parade, for some ceremonial occasion. It may have crowned the staff of a tribal or family banner, ..."
4. The Polish Peasant in Europe and America; Monograph of an Immigrant Group by William Isaac Thomas, Florian Znaniecki (1918)
"... the sentimental letter has the task of reviving the feelings in the individual, independently of any ceremonial occasion. 4. Literary letters. ..."
5. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences by New York Academy of Sciences (1917)
"The regular festival foods, differing somewhat according to the ceremonial occasion, include roast venison, pig-fat, boiled fish, grated cocoanut and boiled ..."
6. University of Michigan Studies by University of Michigan (1919)
"When the Byzantine fondness for pomp made a ceremonial occasion of such personal matters as the Emperor's bath, the distinction between ceremonial ..."
7. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"On ceremonial occasion the tipi camp was arranged in a great circle, with the ceremonial medicine lodge" in the centre. The semi-sedentary Pawnee, Mandan, ..."