Definition of Charles i
1. Noun. As Charles II he was Holy Roman Emperor and as Charles I he was king of France (823-877).
Generic synonyms: Holy Roman Emperor, King Of France
2. Noun. Son of James I who was King of England and Scotland and Ireland; was deposed and executed by Oliver Cromwell (1600-1649).
Generic synonyms: King Of England, King Of Great Britain
Derivative terms: Carolean
3. Noun. King of the Franks and Holy Roman Emperor; conqueror of the Lombards and Saxons (742-814).
Generic synonyms: Carlovingian, Carolingian, Holy Roman Emperor
Derivative terms: Carolingian
Charles I Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Charles I Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Charles I
Literary usage of Charles i
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Sunset by Southern Pacific Company, Southern Pacific Company. Passenger Dept (1912)
"As charles i laid the foundations of a new fortune which I could draw on at will as ... When he died, leaving the bulk of his fortune to Charles, I wasn't ..."
2. Curiosities of Literature by Isaac Disraeli (1893)
"THE SECRET HISTORY OF charles i. AND HIS QUEEN HENRIETTA. THE «crct history of charles i,, and his queen Henrietta of France, opens a different scene from ..."
3. The Best Plays by Burns Mantle, Louis Kronenberger (1899)
"CHARLES—I loved you too ... (He puts out his hand to her and then draws it away ... CHARLES—I feel strangely peaceful—I suppose I shall wake up eventually . ..."
4. Notes and Queries by Martim de Albuquerque (1862)
"We shall be very glad to insert it. — ED. " N. & Q."} charles i. RINGS (3rd S. i. 369.)—I possess one of the rings alluded to by E ..."
5. Representative American Plays by Arthur Hobson Quinn (1917)
"I am so much to blame— CHARLES. I will not stay, MARY discovered, ... No more; This warmth alarms me—hear me, Charles— I 've given to thee my heart and ..."