Definition of Charles vii
1. Noun. King of France who began his reign with most of northern France under English control; after the intervention of Jeanne d'Arc the French were able to defeat the English and end the Hundred Years' War (1403-1461).
Charles Vii Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Charles Vii Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Charles Vii
Literary usage of Charles vii
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A History of France by Victor Duruy, John Franklin Jameson (1896)
"Henry VI. and Charles VII. — After the funeral of Charles VI. at St. Denis, ... Two defeats, at Crevant and at Verneuil, began the reign of Charles VII. and ..."
2. The History of Modern Europe: And a View of the Progress of Society from the by William Russell (1837)
"Continuation of the History of France and England, from the Accession of Charles VII. to the Expulsion of the English from the Continental Territories, ..."
3. The History of England by David Hume, Tobias George Smollett (1825)
"Death of the emperor Charles VII. Accommodation between the queen of Hungary and the young elector of Bavaria—§ XX. The king of Prussia gains two successive ..."
4. The Holy Roman Empire by James Bryce Bryce (1902)
"Charles VII, 1742 1745- Francis I, they might be of Austria, were led both by habit and sympathy to rally round her in ..."
5. View of the State of Europe During the Middle Ages by HENRY. HALLAM (1878)
"Henry V. invades France — Treaty of Troyes —State of France in the first Years of Charles VII. — Progress and subsequent Decline of the English Arras —their ..."
6. The History of France from the Earliest Times to 1848 by Robert Black, Witt (Henriette Elizabeth), Guizot (François) (1884)
"THE HUNDRED YEAR'S WAR—charles vii. AND JOAN OP ARC. 1422—1461. ... to Bourges to inaugurate in the cathedral of that city his reign as Charles VII. ..."
7. Readings in European History: A Collection of Extracts from the Sources by James Harvey Robinson (1904)
"Conditions in the time of Charles VII. Readings in European History will give some ... Charles VI being dead, Charles VII succeeded to his father in the ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Charles vii