Definition of Class Arachnida
1. Noun. A large class of arthropods including spiders and ticks and scorpions and daddy longlegs; have four pairs of walking legs and no wings.
Group relationships: Chelicerata, Superclass Chelicerata
Member holonyms: Arachnid, Arachnoid, Opiliones, Order Opiliones, Order Phalangida, Phalangida, Order Scorpionida, Scorpionida, Chelonethida, Order Chelonethida, Order Pseudoscorpiones, Order Pseudoscorpionida, Pseudoscorpiones, Pseudoscorpionida, Order Pedipalpi, Order Uropygi, Pedipalpi, Uropygi, Araneae, Araneida, Order Araneae, Order Araneida, Acarina, Order Acarina
Generic synonyms: Class
Derivative terms: Arachnidian
Class Arachnida Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Class Arachnida Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Class Arachnida
Literary usage of Class Arachnida
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1833)
"SUPPLEMENT ON THE class Arachnida*. THE animals of this class, though approximating to the insects, and though always considered as such in popular language ..."
2. An Introduction to Entomology by John Henry Comstock (1920)
"class Arachnida Scorpions, Harvestmen, Spiders, Mites, and others The members of this class are air-breathing arthropods, in which the head and thorax are ..."
3. An Introduction to the Study of Fossils (plants and Animals) by Hervey Woodburn Shimer (1914)
"Booh- gills are similar to book-lungs, but are external, attached to the abdominal appendages. Relationship. —' The class Arachnida typically includes a ..."
4. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General by Thomas Spencer Baynes (1888)
"... form a part of the class Arachnida, which may, however, be conveniently placed beside the Crustacea, as in the annexed diagram (fig. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Class Arachnida