Definition of Clegg
1. Noun. Large swift fly the female of which sucks blood of various animals.
Generic synonyms: Gadfly
Group relationships: Family Tabanidae, Tabanidae
Definition of Clegg
1. Noun. (alternative spelling of cleg) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Clegg Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Clegg
Literary usage of Clegg
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Remains, Historical and Literary, Connected with the Palatine Counties of by Chetham Society (1893)
"THE WILL OF EDWARD clegg alias TAILOR OF ... I giue vnto Elizabeth clegg, Alice clegg, Ellyn clegg, An[n] clegg and Marie clegg, equally to be ..."
2. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of Chancery: During by Great Britain Court of Chancery, John Singleton Copley Lyndhurst, Henry Brougham Brougham and Vaux (1837)
"executed a bond bearing date the 29th time equal to of December 1785, in the penal sum of 3000/. to be paid one of hi« five to William clegg, his executors, ..."
3. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of Chancery: During by Steuart Macnaghten, Great Britain Court of Chancery, Alexander Gordon, Charles Christopher Pepys Cottenham, Thomas Wilde Truro (1850)
"clegg p. FISHWICK. ... consisted of Henry right to claim, clegg and nine other parties, all since deceased; that as part of the ', . , r . . . , deceased ..."
4. The Century Illustrated Monthly Magazine (1904)
"Susan clegg, your father was a skinflint! Susan clegg, your father was a miser! ... I went to see about the business first, Susan clegg, 'n' what did I find ..."
5. The Irish Jurist (1863)
"I give and bequeath unto my said daughter, Mary Clugg, wife of the above-mentioned Benjamin clegg, all my right, title, and interest of and t all my ..."
6. An Index to the Wills and Inventories Now Preserved in the Probate Registry by William Fergusson Irvine (1902)
"1792 clegg, Daniel, of Oldham, fustian manufacturer Admon. 1792 clegg, Elizabeth ... 1799 clegg, John, of Failsworth, parish of Manchester Admon. ..."
7. Reports of Cases Decided in the High Court of Chancery: With Notes and by Great Britain Court of Chancery (1854)
"clegg. [*] BOLLS.—1831: 30th April, 4th May. The testator upon the marriage of his daughter Catherine, covenanted to make her fortune equal to that of any ..."
8. Remains, Historical and Literary, Connected with the Palatine Counties of by Chetham Society (1861)
"Ralph Belfield of clegg gent. married Elizabeth daughter of Edmund Hopwood ... She was afterwards wife of William Assheton of clegg Esq. brother of Edward ..."