Definition of Clinopodium
1. Noun. Wild basil.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Labiatae, Family Lamiaceae, Labiatae, Lamiaceae, Mint Family
Member holonyms: Clinopodium Vulgare, Cushion Calamint, Satureja Vulgaris, Wild Basil
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Clinopodium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Clinopodium
Literary usage of Clinopodium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Gardeners Dictionary: Containing the Methods of Cultivating and ...by Philip Miller by Philip Miller (1754)
"6. clinopodium Romanian, na- jaran/e folie. Босс. Muf. Román Field-bad!, with a Marjoram-leaf. 7. clinopodium menth<? folio ..."
2. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord. Britton, Hon. Addison. Brown (1913)
"Type species : clinopodium vulgare L. * Flower-clusters dense, axillary and terminal, ... clinopodium vulgare L. Sp. Pl. 587. 1753. Calamintha Clinop. ..."
3. List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta Growing Without Cultivation in by Botanical Club (1894)
"clinopodium vulgare L. Sp. Pl. 587 (1753). Melissa clinopodium Benth. Lab. Gen. ... Calamintha clinopodium Benth. in DC Prodr. 12: 233 (1848). 14. ..."
4. Gray's New Manual of Botany: A Handbook of the Flowering Plants and Ferns of by Asa Gray, Benjamin Lincoln Robinson, Merritt Lyndon Fernald (1908)
"(Calamintha Savi ; clinopodium Ktze.) — Dry waste grounds, Md. to Ind., ... (clinopodium Ktze.) — Roadsides and waste places, Mass, to Ont. and NJ (Nat, ..."
5. The Flora of Berkshire: Being a Topographical and Historical Account of the by George Claridge Druce (1897)
"clinopodium ... I heare saye that it groweth . . . about Oxford. ... C. clinopodium occurs in all the bordering counties. C. arvensis, Lam. Fl. Fr. ii. ..."
6. A Botanical Materia Medica by Jonathan Stokes (1812)
"10, # clinopodium minus, sive vulgäre. Park, theatr. 81. ACINOS. ... clinopodium montanum. Bocc. plant, t. 45. Leaves represented as acute and entire at the ..."
7. The Flora of British India by Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker (1885)
"C. clinopodium, vor. umbrosa, Hook. f. in Thwaites Saum. ... and variable Indian plant with difficulty distinguishable in some states from C. clinopodium, ..."