Definition of Coffeeberry
1. Noun. Evergreen shrub of western United States bearing small red or black fruits.
Generic synonyms: Buckthorn
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Coffeeberry Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Coffeeberry
Literary usage of Coffeeberry
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The California Spotted Owl: A Technical Assessment of Its Current Status. by Jared Verner (1992)
"Linsdale and Tevis (1951) found that acorns and fruits of California coffeeberry were most numerous in caches examined at Hastings Reservation. ..."
2. The Broad-sclerophyll Vegetation of California: An Ecological Study of the by William Skinner Cooper (1922)
"coffeeberry. Coast Ranges and Sierra Nevada, south to Mount San Pedro Mártir in Lower California. A frequent member of the climax chaparral, occurring also ..."
3. The Bungalow and the Tent; Or, a Visit to Ceylon by Edward Robert Sullivan (1854)
"... as they divest the coffeeberry of its scarlet overcoat; but this is a kind of occupation that would surfeit the most patient in a few days; there:is not ..."
4. Thesaurus literaturae botanicae omnium gentium, inde a rerum botanicarum by Georg August Pritzel (1872)
"To which is added the botanical dissection of the coffeeberry. London, (yp. Straham. 1725. folio, vi, 35, 22 p., 2 lab. — London 1737. folio. 76 p., 3 tab. ..."