Definition of Colaptes
1. Noun. A genus of Picidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Picidae, Picidae
Member holonyms: Flicker
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Colaptes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Colaptes
Literary usage of Colaptes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Birds of the Kotzebue Sound Region, Alaska by Joseph Grinnell (1900)
"colaptes auratus; colaptes cafer hybridus; colaptes auratus var. hybridus. STATUS—Pure auratus has been recorded many times in winter west of the Sierras ..."
2. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1900)
"... plates of the eyeball exists in colaptes and all other American Pici wherein I have examined them. These plates very thoroughly fuse together, ..."
3. List of the Specimens of Birds in the Collection of the British Museum by George Robert Gray (1848)
"Presented by J. Gould, Esq. Back, RN e. North America. 2. colaptes ... Presented by the Secretary of SM* for the Colonies. 3. colaptes ..."
4. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"colaptes cifer (GMELIN). RANGE.— Western North America from southern Alaska and central British ... [colaptes cafer cafer. Extralimital.] b. colaptes cafer ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Colaptes