Definition of Coleus blumei
1. Noun. Perennial aromatic herb of southeastern Asia having large usually bright-colored or blotched leaves and spikes of blue-violet flowers; sometimes placed in genus Solenostemon.
Generic synonyms: Coleus, Flame Nettle
Coleus Blumei Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Coleus Blumei Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Coleus Blumei
Literary usage of Coleus blumei
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of Horticulture, Cottage Gardener and Country Gentlemen (1864)
"... would it be injurious to heat the house with it a degree or two above freezing ? I had a fine lot of healthy young plants of the coleus blumei and ..."
2. Favourite Flowers of Garden and Greenhouse by Edward Step (1897)
"coleus blumei (Blume's). Steins 1 to H foot high. Principal Species ' - ь Leaves oval, deeply cut and coarsely-toothed ; the central ..."
3. Tissue Culture: Plants: A Bibliography, January 1992-March 1994 by Henry Gilbert (1995)
"P54 Isolation of protoplasts and vacuoles from cell suspension cultures of Coleus blumei Benth. Hausler, E.; Petersen, M.; Alfermann, AW Berlin, W. Ger. ..."
4. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1918)
"Livingston and Free3 observed marked differences in the rate of water absorption by roots of willow (Salix nigra) and coleus (coleus blumei) when the soil ..."
5. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1914)
"coleus blumei var. Verschaffeltii. petals greenish with reddish margins. Java. C. simplex, Reichb. Lf. oblong, acute, wavy, green with darker blotches: fis. ..."
6. The Fertilisation of Flowers by Hermann Müller, D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson, Charles Darwin (1883)
"The flower of Coleus (Blumei, Benth. ?) is figured and described in No. 560, in. 339. LYCOPUS EUROP^US, L.—The corolla forms a bell 3 to 4 mm. long, ..."