Definition of Colpocele
1. Noun. Hernia projecting into the vagina.
Generic synonyms: Hernia, Herniation
Specialized synonyms: Colpocystocele, Cystocele, Proctocele, Rectocele
Medical Definition of Colpocele
1. 1. A hernia projecting into the vagina. Synonym: coleocele, vaginocele. Synonym: colpoptosis. Origin: colpo-+ G. Kele, hernia (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Colpocele Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Colpocele
Literary usage of Colpocele
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Manual of Gynecology by Henry Turman Byford (1902)
"Anterior and posterior colpocele form one or two more or less rugated ... The cath-Smooth, eter passes into it, instead of over it as in anterior colpocele. ..."
2. Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of women by Harry Sturgeon Crossen (1915)
"239) or it may be the anterior vaginal (anterior colpocele). If the rectal wall follows the prolapsing posterior vaginal wall, the condition is called ..."
3. The Clinical Journal (1901)
"Posterior colpocele. Here is another patient who was admitted with a minor though very uncomfortable trouble— a prolapse of the posterior vaginal wall—a ..."
4. Gynecological Operations: Including Non-operative Treatment and Minor Gynecology by Henri Albert Charles Antoine Hartmann, Douglas William Sibbald (1913)
"Anterior colpocele is always accompanied by cystocele, by reason of the anatomical ... On the contrary, the posterior colpocele generally exists without an ..."
5. Diseases of Women by Harry Sturgeon Crossen (1922)
"It may be the posterior vaginal wall (posterior colpocele) or it may be the anterior vaginal (anterior ..."
6. Surgery, Its Principles and Practice by William Williams Keen (1913)
"... approximation of the deeper structures from above downward or as a final step in the completion of the operation (Figs. 390, 391). ANTERIOR colpocele ..."