Definition of Conk out
1. Verb. Stop operating or functioning. "These cars won't conk out "; "Her eyesight went after the accident"
Generic synonyms: Change
Related verbs: Break, Buy The Farm, Cash In One's Chips, Choke, Conk, Croak, Decease, Die, Drop Dead, Exit, Expire, Give-up The Ghost, Go, Kick The Bucket, Pass, Pass Away, Perish, Pop Off, Snuff It
Specialized synonyms: Crash, Go Down, Blow, Blow Out, Burn Out, Misfire, Malfunction, Misfunction
Derivative terms: Breakable, Breakdown, Failure
2. Verb. Use up all one's strength and energy and stop working. "At the end of the march, I pooped out"
Generic synonyms: Fatigue, Jade, Pall, Tire, Weary
Definition of Conk out
1. Verb. (intransitive informal) to fall fast asleep; to sleep soundly ¹
2. Verb. (intransitive informal) to stop functioning ¹
3. Verb. (intransitive informal) to die ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Conk Out Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Conk Out Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Conk Out
Literary usage of Conk out
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Thomas Nast: His Period and His Pictures by Albert Bigelow Paine (1904)
"It became known that Vice-President Arthur had recently made a trip to Albany to see Conk-OUT-" ..."
2. Volcanic Ash and Aviation Safety: Proceedings of the First International edited by T. J. Casadevall (1995)
"Smith, WC, 1983, High-altitude conk out: Natural History, v, 92. no. 11, p. 26-34. Tootell, B., 1985, All 4 Engines Have Failed; The Trae and Triumphant ..."
3. The Bat and Bab, a Sub-Deb by Mary Roberts Rinehart (2000)
"... the heroine being a girl detective who could shoot the conk out of a bottle at a great distance, and whose name was Barbara! It was for that reason Jane ..."
4. The Backup Book: Disaster Recovery from Desktop to Data Center by Dorian J. Cougias, E. L. Heiberger, Karsten Koop (2003)
"... the five-tape limit is that each tape you add to a backup set also adds the chance that Mr. Murphy will visit, and one ofthe tapes will conk out on you. ..."
5. Mexico's Pacific Coast by Vivien Lougheed (2004)
"Most tours are vehicle-assisted (if you conk out, you can ride in a car). Helmets, water and bikes are included in the price of about $100 per day. ..."
6. Air Men O' War by Boyd Cable (1919)
""I knew my engine was going to conk out any second—could feel a sort of grate and grind in her, and that my revs, were dropping off. ..."
7. A Soldier of the Sky by George Frederick Campbell (1918)
"As it was, I relied on my being able to see a stray trawler or boat that happened to be in my line of flight; so that if I did "conk out," or my engine give ..."