Definition of Copley
1. Noun. American painter who did portraits of Paul Revere and John Hancock before fleeing to England to avoid the American Revolution (1738-1815).
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Copley Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Copley
Literary usage of Copley
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Collections of the Massachusetts Historical Society by Massachusetts Historical Society (1914)
"Mr. copley and Lady present their best respect[s] to you your Sister and ... 2 Mr Is. Smith jr. presents his compliments to Mr copley, and begs leave to ..."
2. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1887)
"Tames to the crown, copley waa concerned in the plot for placing Lady Arabella ... 1709), founder of the copley medal, was son of Sir Godfrey copley of ..."
3. Publications by English Dialect Society (1909)
"RANDOLPH TO POVEY ON HIS RECEPTION BY copley. ... I find him grown ** There is among the Blathwayt copley dated 26th June, 1692, in which, ..."
4. A Life of Lord Lyndhurst from Letters and Papers in Possession of His Family by Theodore Martin (1884)
"copley called to the Bar—Goes on the Midland Circuit—His early struggles—His ... copley was now in his thirty-first year. His business as a special pleader ..."
5. American Journal of Education (1860)
"My works are situated at copley and at Halifax, in the West Riding of Yorkshire. copley lies in a valley, on the banks of the river Calder, ..."
6. Publications of the Colonial Society of Massachusetts by Colonial Society of Massachusetts (1902)
"197-216, which contains much interesting matter concerning Henry Pelham and John Singleton copley. See also Mr. Whitmore's letter describing copley's ..."
7. British Freewomen: Their Historical Privilege by Charlotte Carmichael Stopes (1894)
"In 28°, 43" Eliz. i", 18° Jac., the return was made by the inhabitants, end in all later parliaments Mr. copley joined with the other inhabitants. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Copley