Definition of Coronary bypass surgery
1. Noun. Open-heart surgery in which the rib cage is opened and a section of a blood vessel is grafted from the aorta to the coronary artery to bypass the blocked section of the coronary artery and improve the blood supply to the heart.
Generic synonyms: Open-heart Surgery
Medical Definition of Coronary bypass surgery
1. A surgical procedure, known as a coronary artery bypass graft, which involves replacing diseased (narrowed) coronary arteries with veins obtained from the patients lower extremities (autologous graft). During this procedure the patient is placed on a heart bypass machine (heart-lung machine) to allow the surgeon adequate time to perform surgery on the resting (nonbeating) heart. This procedure has proven to extend the lives of individuals with coronary artery disease and improve the quality of life. Recovery in the hospital is approximately 7-10 days. (27 Sep 1997)
Coronary Bypass Surgery Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Coronary Bypass Surgery Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Coronary Bypass Surgery
Literary usage of Coronary bypass surgery
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Second Report of the Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of ...by Scott M. Grundy by Scott M. Grundy (1997)
"Gender, coronary artery disease, and coronary bypass surgery. Ann Intern Med 1990; 112:557-8. 83. Pekkanen J, Linn S, Heiss G, et al. ..."
2. Measuring Up: Improving Health System Performance in Oecd Countries by Canada Health Canada (2002)
"... focused on coronary heart disease and related procedures. New York State does about twice as much coronary bypass surgery per capita as Ontario, Canada, ..."
3. Health Care: Employers Urge Hospitals to Battle Costs Using Performance Data by DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"The system is also unable to distinguish between an emergency coronary bypass surgery, a repeat coronary bypass surgery, and a coronary bypass surgery ..."
4. Health Status of Minorities & Low Income Groups by DIANE Publishing Company, Dept. of Health and Human Services, United States (1991)
"Source: E. Ford, R. Cooper, A. Castaner, B. Simmons, and M. Mar, "Coronary Arteriography and coronary bypass surgery Among Whites ..."