Definition of Crystalline lens
1. Noun. Biconvex transparent body situated behind the iris in the eye; its role (along with the cornea) is to focuses light on the retina.
Generic synonyms: Organ
Group relationships: Eye, Oculus, Optic
Terms within: Cortex, Lens Cortex, Lens Capsule
Medical Definition of Crystalline lens
Crystalline Lens Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Crystalline Lens Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Crystalline Lens
Literary usage of Crystalline lens
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Anatomy, Descriptive and Surgical by Henry Gray (1893)
"The crystalline lens and its Capsule. The crystalline lens, enclosed in its capsule, ... The crystalline lens, hardened and divided. (Enlarged. ..."
2. The Popular Science Monthly by Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress) (1886)
"If it were not for this crystalline lens of the eye, we should be able only to have an in- i'jn of light. This lens enables us to see the forms of things ..."
3. Abstracts of the Papers Printed in the Philosophical Transactions of the by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1833)
"On the Structure of the crystalline lens in Fishes and Quadrupeds, as ascertained by its Action on Polarized Light. By David Brewster, LL. ..."
4. Annals of Ophthalmology (1904)
"OBSERVATIONS ON THE PATHOLOGY OF THE crystalline lens. ... The crystalline lens is an epithelial structure composed of thin fibre-like cells, ..."
5. Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society Annual Meeting by American Ophthalmological Society (1876)
"The first ophthalmoscopic examination showed remains of the hyaloid artery in the right eye attached to the crystalline lens; between the optic nerve and ..."
6. Lessons in elementary physiology by Thomas Henry Huxley (1881)
"The crystalline lens has been removed. ciliary processes (which simply form the anterior termination of the choroid), this pulling forward of the choroid ..."
7. Microscopical Morphology of the Animal Body in Health and Disease by Carl Heitzmann (1882)
"... and mammary glands; the crystalline lens of the eye ; in the system known as the ... crystalline lens."