Definition of Cydonia oblonga
1. Noun. Small Asian tree with pinkish flowers and pear-shaped fruit; widely cultivated.
Terms within: Quince
Group relationships: Cydonia, Genus Cydonia
Generic synonyms: Fruit Tree
Cydonia Oblonga Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cydonia Oblonga Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cydonia Oblonga
Literary usage of Cydonia oblonga
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Tissue Culture: Plants: A Bibliography, January 1992-March 1994 by Henry Gilbert (1995)
"Language: English Descriptors: cydonia oblonga; Tissue culture; Salinity; Sodium chloride; Phytotoxicity; Survival; Growth; Chlorophyll ..."
2. A Guide to the Orchard and Fruit Garden: Or An Account of the Most Valuable by George Lindley (1852)
"cydonia oblonga. PEAR-SHAPED QUINCE. Leaves oblong-ovate. Fruit lengthened at the base. 3. CYDONIA LUSITANICA. PORTUGAL QUINCE. Leaves obovate. ..."
3. A Guide to the Orchard and Fruit Garden: Or, An Account of the Most Valuable by George Lindley, John Lindley (1831)
"MR. MILLER has three varieties of the Quince, the only hardy kinds known in this country, viz. 1. cydonia oblonga. PEAR-SHAPED QUINCE. Leaves oblong-ovate. ..."
4. The Vascular Flora of Pennsylvania: Annotated Checklist and Atlas by Ann Fowler Rhoads, William M. Klein (1993)
"Crataegus tomentosa L. P • cydonia oblonga P.Mill. Quince Deciduous tree Cultivated and occasionally escaped to woods, hedgerows, thickets and old fields. ..."