Definition of Dactylorhiza
1. Noun. Genus of terrestrial orchids of Europe and Asia and North Africa.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Marsh Orchid, Common Spotted Orchid, Dactylorhiza Fuchsii, Dactylorhiza Maculata Fuchsii
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dactylorhiza Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dactylorhiza
Literary usage of Dactylorhiza
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Treasury of Botany: A Popular Dictionary of the Vegetable Kingdom; with by John Lindley (1866)
"[D. MJ dactylorhiza. An affection of some agricultural plants, as turnips and carrots, in which the root divides and becomes hard and worthless. ..."
2. Cyprus by Samantha Stenzel (1999)
"Amid white rock roses and wild lavenders grow orchids such as Orchis anatolica and the rarer lemon yellow dactylorhiza ..."
3. Landscapes of Samos: A Countryside Guide by Brian Anderson, Eileen Anderson (2002)
"... the European early purple orchid, but notice how robust these specimens are) and dactylorhiza romana, which occurs in two colour forms, pink and yellow. ..."
4. Northern Portugal by Paul Burton, Denise Burton (2004)
"A little later you'll also spot some interesting flowers in the meadows damp from irrigation. Two orchids, the common spotted orchid, dactylorhiza ..."
5. Lesvos by Brian Anderson, Eileen Anderson (2004)
"... Roman orchid (dactylorhiza romana), which is a bit elusive on the island. continue up to the church ..."