Definition of Dasypus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Dasypodidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Dasypodidae, Family Dasypodidae
Member holonyms: Dasypus Novemcinctus, Nine-banded Armadillo, Peba, Texas Armadillo
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dasypus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dasypus
Literary usage of Dasypus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Additions to the Pleistocene Mammal Faunas of South Carolina, North Carolina by Albert E. Sanders (2002)
"This extinct relative of the modern armadillo, dasypus novem- cinctus, has been recorded from the Late Pleistocene of South Carolina by Roth and Laerm ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"Or the Ordinary Edentata with a pointed muzzle. Some of them still have cheek teeth. They form two genera. dasypus, Lin ..."
3. Essays and Observations on Natural History, Anatomy, Physiology, Psychology by John Hunter, Richard Owen (1861)
"[dasypus 9-cinctus, Linn.] The head, back, and tail, are nearly covered with shells or scales, so arranged as to resemble a coat of mail. ..."
4. Magazine of Natural History edited by John Claudius Loudon, Edward Charlesworth, John Denson (1840)
"Tatu-ay of Desmarest; and Tatusia Tatu-ay of F. Cuvier.1 The largest existing species of this family, dasypus Gigas, Cuv. (called by the Brazilians " Tatu ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Dasypus