Definition of Department of justice
1. Noun. The United States federal department responsible for enforcing federal laws (including the enforcement of all civil rights legislation); created in 1870.
Category relationships: Legislation, Statute Law, Jurisprudence, Law
Generic synonyms: Executive Department
Terms within: Bja, Bureau Of Justice Assistance, Bjs, Bureau Of Justice Statistics, Fbi, Federal Bureau Of Investigation, Dea, Drug Enforcement Administration, Drug Enforcement Agency, Bop, Federal Bureau Of Prisons, National Institute Of Justice, Nij, Marshals, United States Marshals Service, Us Marshals Service
Department Of Justice Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Department Of Justice Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Department Of Justice
Literary usage of Department of justice
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Guide to the Archives of the Government of the United States in Washington by Claude Halstead Van Tyne (1907)
"department of justice. The office of Attorney-General was established in 1789 (1 ... In 1870 the Department of Justice was created, having as its head the ..."
2. Making Things Better: Competing in Manufacturing (1993)
"Ibid., reprinted in Report of the American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law Task Force on the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice, ..."
3. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"... being provided for bv the great act that established the Federal courts, but the Department of Justice was not organized into a separate department nor ..."
4. Annual Report of the Attorney-general of the United States by United States Dept. of Justice, United States Attorney-General (1892)
"department of justice, Washington, DC, October 3-4, 1892. SIR: I respectfully submit the following report upon the library of the Department of Justice for ..."
5. Revised Record of the Constitutional Convention of the State of New York by New York (State). Constitutional Convention (1916)
"I apprehend that the Committee derived the title of " Department of Justice " from the parallel department in the Federal Government. ..."