Definition of Depend upon
1. Verb. Be contingent on. "Your grade will depends on your homework"
Specialized synonyms: Build On, Build Upon, Repose On, Rest On
2. Verb. Put trust in with confidence. "You can rely on his discretion"
Depend Upon Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Depend Upon Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Depend Upon
Literary usage of Depend upon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1885)
"... after its delivery to the next succeeding carrier on the prescribed route to New York, must depend upon the inquiry whether defendant, in any form, ..."
2. The History of the Rebellion and Civil Wars in England: Together with an by Edward Hyde Clarendon (1849)
"So that he was henceforward resolved to rely upon God Almighty, and not so much to depend upon what might possibly prevail upon the affections of those, ..."
3. Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Standard Work of Reference in Art, Literature (1907)
"28 and 29) we see that the horizontal distance to which the two ends of a faulted stratum may be separated does not depend upon the amount of throw but upon ..."
4. An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation by Jeremy Bentham (1879)
"... intention out of the question, but such also as depend upon the connexion there may be between these first- mentioned consequences and the intention. ..."