Definition of Descending aorta
1. Noun. The descending part of the aorta that branches into the thoracic and abdominal aortae.
Medical Definition of Descending aorta
1. A part of the aorta, further divided into the thoracic aorta and the abdominal aorta. Synonym: pars descendens aortae, aorta descendens, descending part of aorta. (05 Mar 2000)
Descending Aorta Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Descending Aorta Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Descending Aorta
Literary usage of Descending aorta
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Anatomy, Descriptive and Surgical by Henry Gray (1901)
"THE descending aorta. The descending aorta is divided into two portions, the thoracic and abdominal, in correspondence with the two great cavities of the ..."
2. Anatomy, Descriptive and Surgical: Descriptive and Surgical by Henry Gray (1897)
"THE descending aorta. ARTERIES OF THE TRUNK. The descending aorta is divided into two portions, the thoracic and abdominal, in correspondence with the two ..."
3. The Morbid Anatomy of Some of the Most Important Parts of the Human Body by Matthew Baillie, James Wardrop (1833)
"OF THE descending aorta. to contain several ounces of fluid. ... The Descending Aorta. THERE is scarcely any other disease of the descending Aorta within ..."
4. Journal of Pathology and Bacteriology by Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland (1901)
"... ANEURYSM OF THE descending aorta, PROJECTING INTO AND OCCLUDING THE LEFT BRONCHUS; DESTRUCTIVE TUBERCULOSIS OF THE LEFT LUNG; AUTOPSY. ..."
5. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1911)
"The left aorta is stronger than the right, both combining soon to form the descending aorta. Owing to the absence of fore limbs and shoulder-girdle the ..."