Definition of Deterrent example
1. Noun. Punishment intended as a warning to others. "They decided to make an example of him"
Generic synonyms: Admonition, Monition, Warning, Word Of Advice
Derivative terms: Exemplary
Deterrent Example Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Deterrent Example Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Deterrent Example
Literary usage of Deterrent example
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Arena by Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress) (1907)
"We are accustomed to justify the throw of King James but a few years death penalty as a deterrent example, later in the Revolution of 1688. ..."
2. Prison Reform in the United States: Proceedings of a Conference Held at by Thomson Gale (Firm) (1877)
"It should never be forgotten, but rather strongly insisted on, that the principle of deterrent example ..."
3. Works of Thomas Hill Green by Thomas Hill Green, Richard Lewis Nettleship (1890)
"This may serve as a sufficiently deterrent example without the negligence being proceeded against criminally. Again, damage done to property by negligence ..."
4. The Republic of Plato by Plato, James Adam (1902)
"... unless they are incurable : and such as are themselves incurable, help to cure others by their deterrent example (X 616 A) : so that in its deepest ..."
5. The American Magazine of Civics (1895)
"... outside of reformatories either as a protector of society directly, or for deterrent example, that may not be better subserved by other measures. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Deterrent example