Definition of Disc brake
1. Noun. Hydraulic brake in which friction is applied to both sides of a spinning disk by the brake pads.
Terms within: Brake Disk, Brake Pad
Generic synonyms: Hydraulic Brake, Hydraulic Brakes
Definition of Disc brake
1. Noun. (context: Automotive) A type of brake where the friction is produced by brake pads which are pressed against a disk. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Disc Brake Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Disc Brake Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Disc Brake
Literary usage of Disc brake
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Modern Gasoline Automobile: Its Design, Construction, Operation and by Victor Wilfred Pagé (1917)
"... of Motor Car Brakes—Internal Brakes —External Brakes—Multiple disc brake—Front Wheel Brakes- Vacuum Operated Brake—Hydraulic Brake—Anti-Friction Bearing ..."
2. Naval Electricians' Text Book by William Hannum Grubb Bullard, John Thomas Tompkins, Amon Bronson (1915)
"main-line magnet, sets the disc brake and closes the slow-speed magnet, thus establishing a dynamic braking circuit. The adjustment of the brushes on the ..."
3. The Engineer's Sketch-book of Mechanical Movements, Devices, Appliances by Thomas Walter Barber (1897)
"disc brake; considerable end pressure is required with this form, ... Compound disc brake. Several discs may be employed, sliding on feathers on the shaft. ..."
4. Illustrated Technical Dictionary in Six Languages, English, German, French by Kurt Deinhardt, Alfred Schlomann (1910)
"... frein (m) différentiel Scheibenbremse (f) disc brake frein (m) à disque ... (f) multiple disc brake frein (m) à disques juxtaposés ou à lamelles D il 1. ..."
5. Electrical Installations of the United States Navy: A Manual of the Latest by Burns Tracy Walling, Julius Martin (1907)
"... known as the disc type. FIG. 150.—disc brake. Half cross-section. The Disc Brake.—The type is shown in half cross-section in Fig. 150. ..."
6. Elements of Machine Design by Oscar Adolph Leutwiler (1917)
"shows one form of multiple-disc brake. The pinion a, having a faced surface at 6, ... The disc brake shown in Fig. 273 is used in connection with hoisting ..."
7. Elements of Machine Design by Oscar Adolph Leutwiler (1917)
"shows one form of multiple-disc brake. The pinion a, having a faced surface at b, is bushed and runs loose on the shaft c. The flange d, keyed to the shaft, ..."