Definition of Disseminated sclerosis
1. Noun. A chronic progressive nervous disorder involving loss of myelin sheath around certain nerve fibers.
Generic synonyms: Degenerative Disorder, Induration, Sclerosis, Autoimmune Disease, Autoimmune Disorder
Terms within: Demyelination
Medical Definition of Disseminated sclerosis
Disseminated Sclerosis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Disseminated Sclerosis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Disseminated Sclerosis
Literary usage of Disseminated sclerosis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Practitioner by Gale Group, ProQuest Information and Learning Company (1899)
"disseminated sclerosis supplied one of the cases in question, ... That disseminated sclerosis may take this form clinically has long been known, ..."
2. Lectures on the Diseases of the Nervous System: Delivered at La Salpêtrière by Jean Martin Charcot (1881)
"... infra-spinal tumours; disseminated sclerosis ; symmetrical lateral sclerosis. On prot'opal/tic spinal progressive muscular atrophy in particular ..."
3. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease by American Neurological Association, Philadelphia Neurological Society, Chicago Neurological Society, New York Neurological Association, Boston Society of Psychiatry and Neurology (1905)
"The Earliest Cases of disseminated sclerosis u'ith Necropsy and Microscopical Examination Reported in America.—Dr. Charles K. Mills thought it would be well ..."
4. Heredity in Relation to Eugenics by Charles Benedict Davenport (1911)
"Multiple or disseminated sclerosis. — plegia who married This is a diffuse degenerative disease of the a Bister spinal cord. It leads to tremors in the arms ..."
5. The Diagnosis of Nervous Diseases by James Purves-Stewart (1906)
"The disease which is most often mistaken for hysteria is disseminated sclerosis in its earlier stages. In both diseases we may have a history of transient ..."
6. Pediatrics: The Hygienic and Medical Treatment of Children by Thomas Morgan Rotch (1906)
"INSULAR OR disseminated sclerosis. Insular or disseminated sclerosis is a chronic degenerative disease of the brain and cord, characterized by multiple ..."