Definition of Domain name
1. Noun. Strings of letters and numbers (separated by periods) that are used to name organizations and computers and addresses on the internet. "Domain names are organized hierarchically with the more generic parts to the right"
Definition of Domain name
1. Noun. (computing) a unique, case-insensitive, name, consisting of a string made up of alphanumeric characters and dashes separated by periods, that the Domain Name System maps to IP numbers and other information. ¹
2. Noun. an identifier of a computer or site on the Internet ¹
3. Noun. a domain -- that part of a '''domain name''' which (nominally) identifies an organization; a '''domain name''' delegated to an independent administrative authority who is then responsible for the management of that portion of the Domain Name System's namespace that consist of the delegated domain and all subdomains that are not delegated in turn. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Domain Name Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Domain Name Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Domain Name
Literary usage of Domain name
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Internet Costs & Cost Models for Public Libraries: Final Report by Charles R. McClure (1996)
"Cyberspace domain name The unique name that identifies an Internet site. ... A given machine may have more than one domain name but a given domain name ..."
2. The Backup Book: Disaster Recovery from Desktop to Data Center by Dorian J. Cougias, E. L. Heiberger, Karsten Koop (2003)
"By default, Windows 2000 assumes that the domain name ofyour device's ... However, Windows 2000 also allows you to specify the domain name of the zone ..."
3. Successful Independent Consulting: Turn Your Career Experience Into a by Douglas Florzak (1999)
"The part of the URL before ".com" is called the domain name. There is a relatively inexpensive way in which you can create your own unique domain name and ..."
4. OECD Anti-spam Toolkit of Recommended Policies and Measuresby SourceOECD (Online service) by SourceOECD (Online service) (2006)
"The "Spamvertised URL" is usually a domain name registered by the "initiator" and the "Purchase Page URL" is usually a domain name registered to the "sender ..."
5. OECD Science, Technology And Industry Scoreboard by OECD Staff, C Pescatore, A Vári, IAEA (2005)
"After slowing during the bursting of the financial bubble associated with information and communication technology, domain name registration rates have now ..."
6. The Free Agent Marketing Guide: 100+ Marketing Tips for Free Agents by Douglas Florzak (2004)
"... an application for automatically setting up and maintaining scheduled, repeating auctions. 95. Register your own domain name ..."