Definition of Dominican republic
1. Noun. A republic in the West Indies; located on the eastern two-thirds of the island of Hispaniola.
Generic synonyms: Country, Land, State
Group relationships: Caribbean, Haiti, Hayti, Hispaniola
Terms within: Capital Of The Dominican Republic, Ciudad Trujillo, Santo Domingo, Santiago, Santiago De Los Caballeros
Member holonyms: Dominican
Definition of Dominican republic
1. Proper noun. A country in the Caribbean. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Dominican republic
1. A republic in the greater antilles in the west indies. Its capital is santo domingo. With haiti, it forms the island of hispaniola - the dominican republic occupying the eastern two thirds, and haiti, the western third. It was created in 1844 after a revolt against the rule of president boyer over the entire island of hispaniola, itself visited by columbus in 1492 and settled the next year. Except for a brief period of annexation to spain (1861-65), it has been independent, though closely associated with the united states. Its name comes from the spanish santo domingo, holy sunday, with reference to its discovery on a sunday. (12 Dec 1998)
Dominican Republic Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dominican Republic Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dominican Republic
Literary usage of Dominican republic
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. United States Statutes at Large: Containing the Laws and Concurrent by United States (1869)
"... from time to time, lawfully imported into the United States in their own vessels, may also be imported in the vessels of the dominican republic, ..."
2. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"Thus, the present capital of the dominican republic, The French Revolution reacted upon Hispaniola. The whites and mulattos of San Domingo, under Spanish ..."
3. The American Journal of International Law by American Society of International Law (1907)
"THE CONVENTION OF 1907 BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES AND THE dominican republic On February 15,1905, the president of the United States transmitted to the ..."
4. Treaties for the Advancement of Peace Between the United States and Other by United States (1919)
"Treaty between the United States and the dominican republic for the Advancement of General Peace1 The United States of America and the dominican republic, ..."
5. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1872)
"A question has been raised in onr country, whether the government and people of the dominican republic, having once been under Ihe rule of the ..."
6. The American Mediterranean by Stephen Bonsal (1912)
"APPENDIX C dominican republic IN 1910 NOTE II GIVE in full below the text of the convention signed between the dominican republic and the United States on ..."
7. The American Year Book: A Record of Events and Progress by Francis Graham Wickware, (, Albert Bushnell Hart, (, Simon Newton Dexter North, William M. Schuyler (1917)
"Juan I. Jiminez, President of the dominican republic, resigns to prevent armed intervention threatened by the American Minister. 10. ..."