Definition of Downrange
1. Adjective. In the horizontal direction away from the launch site of a rocket in the direction of its travel. ¹
2. Adverb. In the horizontal direction away from the launch site of a rocket in the direction of its travel. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Downrange
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Downrange Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Downrange
Literary usage of Downrange
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1883)
"Reports Apollo 12 Lunar Module Impact: Laboratory Simulation and Possible downrange Ballistic Effects Abstract. Plastic pellets were fired into sand targets ..."
2. Aerospace Plane Technology: Research and Development in Japan and Australia (1994)
"... downrange Station, and the Christmas downrange Station on ... in Kiribati in the Line Islands provide downrange tracking o ellite launches. ..."
3. Report of the Presidential Commission on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident by Southgate Publishers, DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"It continues downrange to burn excess propellant, and at the proper point ... During ascent there comes a time when the Shuttle is too far downrange to fly ..."
4. Police Body Armor Standards and Testing by Office of Technology Assessment, United States, Congress (1992)
"Spreading depends on the design of the shot shell, the downrange distance, and the shotgun's choke.4As a load of shot travels downrange and spreads, ..."
5. Directory of Federal Laboratory and Technology Resources: A Guide to (1993)
"Because the range extends from Cape Canaveral to more than 10000 miles downrange across Antigua and the Ascension Islands, the Wing is involved in all ..."
6. The Status of Efforts to Identify Persian Gulf War Syndrome edited by Christopher Shays (1999)
"4 When predicting very low concentration levels far downrange of the source, large dispersions are created that are difficult to model. ..."
7. Energy Efficiency: Challenges and Trends for Electric Utilities (1993)
"A multiple launch rocket system can put an unguided munition 32 (and soon 45) kilometers downrange for $10000 a shot. The Army Tactical Missile System ..."