Definition of Drabler
1. drabbler [n -S] - See also: drabbler
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Drabler Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Drabler
Literary usage of Drabler
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Publications of the Navy Records Society by Navy Records Society (Great Britain) (1896)
"... drabler laced on to the foot of the bonnet; the word drabler is not found in use until the i6th century, ..."
2. State Papers Relating to the Defeat of the Spanish Armada, Anno 1588 by John Knox Laughton (1895)
"The drabler, in the same way, laced on to the foot of the bonnet. 'The bonnet is commonly used with none but the mizen, main and fore-sails, ..."
3. The Dawn of British Trade to the East Indies: As Recorded in the Court by East India Company (1886)
"... vsed a missen and a missen bonnett litle vsed a newe spritt saile little vsed an olde maine corse bonnett and drabler more another maine corse more an ..."
4. The Monthly Review by Ralph Griffiths (1808)
"Together with the Chain-pump, we have lately added the Bonnet and drabler «.—To the Courses we have devised Studding Sails, Top-gallant. ..."
5. The Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques & Discoveries of the English by Richard Hakluyt (1907)
"Another device for increasing the sail area was that of the drabler and the bonnet ... The drabler was a second strip which laced to the foot of the bonnet. ..."
6. Naval Accounts and Inventories of the Reign of Henry VII: 1485-8 and 1495-7 by Michael Oppenheim (1896)
"... the word drabler is not found in use until the 16th century, but the simultaneous employment of two bonnets was very old. 1 1485. a Sic. 3 1486. ..."
7. The Sailor's Word-book: An Alphabetical Digest of Nautical Terms, Including by William Henry Smyth (1867)
"drabler. A piece of canvas laced on the bonnet of a sail to give it more drop, or as Captain Boteler says—" As the bonnet is to the course, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Drabler